On 5 May 2016 local people went to the polls to elect the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Norfolk, who will be in place until the next PCC election in four years time.
Elections for Police and Crime Commissioners took place across 41 Police Force areas in England (excluding London) and Wales at the same time.
Under the terms of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Act 2011, the role of the Police and Crime Commissioner is to:
- secure an efficient and effective police for their area;
- appoint the Chief Constable, hold them to account for running the force, and if necessary dismiss them;
- set the police and crime objectives for their area through a police and crime plan;
- set the force budget and determine the precept to be collected through council tax;
- contribute to the national and international policing capabilities set out by the Home Secretary;
- bring together community safety and criminal justice partners, to make sure local priorities are joined up;
To find out more information contact the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC)
About the election
The election used the supplementary vote system which meant that people were able to vote for a first and second choice candidate.
Norfolk's PCC election was carried out by each of the seven local authorities. The counts took place on Friday, 6 May 2016. The count results from all seven authorities were then pooled and the new PCC for Norfolk was declared at the King's Lynn & West Norfolk Borough Council count venue.
The declaration was made by Norfolk's Police Area Returning Officer (PARO), Ray Harding, who was also the Chief Executive of the Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk at the time of the election.
Certificate of First Count Totals (pdf 1MB)
Certificate of Second Count Result Declaration (pdf 120KB)
Local returning officer contact details
|Norwich City Council
t: 01603 212055
North Norfolk District Council
|Broadland District Council
t: 01603 430424
Borough Council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Breckland District Council
Great Yarmouth Borough Council
South Norfolk District Council
t: 01508 533704