How to apply for a pet shop licence, and information about conditions
How to apply
We issue licences to make sure animals are well looked after in pet shops (Pet Animals Act 1951).
Anyone can apply for a Pet Shop Licence, as long as they have not been disqualified from keeping a pet shop previously.
You can apply:
- online on the GOV.UK website (please follow their instructions to complete the form on your computer, and then upload and submit the form on the GOV.UK site)
- by downloading our paper application form and sending it to us with the appropriate fee (please see our animal welfare licensing fee document).
What we consider
When someone applies for a pet shop licence, we need to make sure that:
- animals are kept in the right accommodation (for example, it's not too hot, too small, dark)
- the right food and drink is being given at the right times
- animals are sold at the right age and not too early
- the right procedure is in place to prevent disease
- adequate safety procedures are in place
What happens next?
We will visit you to look at the premises, and make sure it's suitable.
If there are no issues we'll issue a licence for a 12 month duration.
If you need to renew your pet shop licence you can do so by completing our online form.
We may attach a condition to your licence. However, there are certain conditions that apply to everyone. Please take time to read through our standard conditions document, at the bottom of this page.
Despite a licence being issued by us, you may need planning permission also. Please see our planning pages.
For further information, please contact us, our contact details are below.