Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Essential maintenance — Our Public Access (planning system) will be unavailable from 10:00pm on 19 November for a short period of time

Temporary Event Notice

Information about Temporary Event Notices and who can submit one

Who can submit a notice?

Any individual over 18 can submit a Temporary Event Notice (TEN). You can submit a TEN to gain permission for the following activities (whether in a premises or open space):

  • regulated entertainment - plays, films, recorded music, indoor sporting events, live music, boxing or wrestling entertainment, performance of dance
  • late night refreshment - provision of hot food and/or hot drinks between 11pm and 5am
  • sale by retail of alcohol
  • supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member, or to the order of a member

How many TEN's can I submit?

An individual can submit five TEN's in a calendar year (or three standard and two late).

A personal licence holder can submit 50 TEN'S in a calendar year (or 40 standard and ten late).

Standard TENS are those which are served at least ten working days before the event (not including the day of the event or the day you submit your application).

Late TENs are those served with less notice than standard TENs, by providing between five and nine working days' notice (not including the day of the event or the day you submit your application). 

How to apply

You can apply online on the GOV.UK website (please follow their instructions to complete the form on your computer, and then upload and submit the form on the GOV.UK site).

To apply for a TEN online you'll need:

  • to complete the TEN application form on the GOV.UK website
  • a credit or debit card to pay the fee of £21

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice online

If you're unable to apply online, you can download our TEN application form and send it to us with a cheque for £21 (you'll also need to send a copy of the form to the police and our Community Safety Team; their addresses are on the form).

What happens next?

If you apply online, you’ll receive an email confirmation. If you’ve sent in a paper application, you’ll usually receive an acknowledgement letter within two working days.

Both the police and our Community Safety Team have three working days to object after they receive the application. If they object, there must be a hearing within seven days, and at least 24 hours before the event in question, unless an agreement can be reached.

Where there is an objection from the police or Community Safety Team, conditions can be imposed on the Temporary Event Notice. These can be imposed on the whole premises or any part of the premises to which the Temporary Event Notice relates. 

There is a right of appeal to the Magistrates' Court for the police and the applicant. But time constraints may prevent this if the application was made at the last minute.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means you’ll be able to act as though your application is granted if you’ve not heard from us by the end of our target completion period of three working days. However, it’s rare that you won’t get a response within this time frame.

Limitations on TENs

The event period can last for a maximum of 168 hours (seven days). This is the time during which licensable activities may take place, but they do not have to take place during the whole of that seven day period. Some activities may take place at different times to others.

No more than 499 people, including staff and performers may attend the event at any one time. If there are 500 people or more, you'll need to obtain a premises licence, even if it's for a one off event.

The same premises can’t be used under a TEN on more than 15 occasions in a calendar year (January to December), and for no more than 21 days in total. If you want further events to take place, you'll need to apply for a premises licence.

There must be at least 24 hours between each event at any one premises.