Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Properties exempt from Council Tax

Information on properties that may be exempt, and how to apply for an exemption

Fully exempt

Some dwellings are fully exempt from Council Tax. Some will be exempt only for a specified length of time.

Those fully exempt are:

  • those occupied only by students
  • those occupied only by people under the age of 18
  • armed forces accommodation
  • those occupied only by people who suffer from severe mental impairment

Council Tax reductions

Those exempt only for a period of time are:

  • properties left empty following the death of the resident (100% exempt for up to six months)
  • empty and owned by a charity (100% exempt for up to six months)

Exempt while unoccupied

A property will be exempt where:

  • the owner is a student who last lived in the dwelling as their main home
  • occupation is prohibited by law or an Act of Parliament

Or where the person:

  • is in prison
  • has moved to receive personal care
  • has moved to provide personal care to another person
  • is a trustee in bankruptcy

Or where the property:

  • is in the possession of the mortgagee
  • has been held for occupation by a Minister of Religion, from which to perform his/her duties
  • is a caravan pitch or boat mooring
  • is an annexe which is unable to be let separately
  • has been repossessed

Apply for an exemption

To apply for an exemption you'll need:

  • your Council Tax account number (you can find this on your bill)
  • the date your property became exempt

Apply for an exemption

Once we've processed your application, we'll send you a revised bill. This will tell you:

  • the discount or exemption that's been applied, and from what date
  • your revised payment instalments (if any)


If you disagree with our decision, please write to us to explain why. If you still disagree with our response, you can appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

You should continue to pay your original bill while your appeal is outstanding.

Tell us about a change

If you no longer qualify for an exemption you must tell us. Please visit our tell us about a change page.