Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Dog and other animal fouling

How to report dog fouling and information about other animal fouling

Dog fouling

Owners are required to clean up after their dogs, so if someone isn't, please let us know.

Use our online report form if you:

  • see a dog fouling incident
  • have information on owners who do not pick up after their dogs

You can report dog fouling using our online report form. You can now track the progress of your report through registering for our MyAccount service.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To report dog fouling you'll need:

  • the location of the dog mess
  • details of the dog owner (if known)

Report dog fouling

Dog fouling signs

Most public areas have a sign to tell visitors that dog fouling is not allowed. It's not possible to sign every street. But if you feel an area would benefit from a sign, please let us know by completing our 'Report dog fouling' form above.

Other animal fouling

We're not able to clear up any other animal fouling. This includes cats.

Cats can legally roam and foul areas other than their own garden. There is no law that holds the owner accountable for any damage a cat causes.

It's an offence to harm a cat in any way. But you can take humane steps to discourage cats from coming into your garden, such as:

  • don't offer cats food, as they're likely to return
  • plant shrubs closely, grow prickly plants, or use small pebbles or chippings to make it difficult to dig
  • install an automatic spray that detects movement

The RSPCA has further guidance on cat deterrents. Please visit the RSPCA website to find out more.

Whilst we can't clear up other animal fouling, we may be able to help if a neighbour with pets is not keeping their home to a required standard. If a premises is in a condition of disrepair, or serious lack of cleanliness, we can take formal action. Please contact us to discuss the problem.