Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Listed buildings

Advice and information on listed buildings

Historic buildings

A building is listed when it's of:

  • special architectural or historic interest
  • national importance and worth protecting 

A historic building will be a particular grade. They are:

  • Grade I - of exceptional national architectural or historic importance
  • Grade II* - of particular national importance & special interest
  • Grade II - of special architectural or historic interest (this makes up about 94% of all listed buildings)

View our historic (listed) buildings list

List descriptions for all listed buildings within West Norfolk are available on the Historic England Website.

Our advice service

We can give advice and guidance on the repair and maintenance of historic buildings in the borough.

We'll help you with:

  • design and planning advice on new developments affecting the setting of listed buildings
  • securing the preservation and best use of historic buildings by taking action to prevent deterioration
  • advice on the re-use of redundant buildings
  • encouraging the use of 'in keeping' building materials, local crafts and skills
  • advice on the protection and supply of traditional building materials

We'll also encourage and promote:

  • historic building conservation
  • environmental education
  • an awareness of sustainable building practice

Work to listed buildings

Any work to a listed building requires listed building consent. You'll need consent if you're doing work to any part of building, including work to the:

  • outside
  • inside
  • any object or structure fixed to the building

You may also need consent if you're doing work in the grounds of the listed building. The area of land around a listed building, within the boundaries, is called the 'curtilage'. Any pre 1 July 1948 building or structure within the curtilage is also deemed to be listed, as are the:

  • boundary walls
  • railings
  • gates

Garden features can also be listed; you'll need to check with us.

Apply for consent

We're available to help give guidance if you're applying to alter or extend historic buildings, including:

  • pre-application advice
  • negotiation during the application process
  • advice when schemes are being built

The easiest way to apply for listed building consent is on the Planning Portal.

To apply for listed building consent you'll need a:

  • location plan
  • site and/or block plan
  • existing and proposed floor plans, elevation plans and roof plans
  • existing and proposed section plans (if appropriate)
  • heritage statement*

Apply for listed building consent 

*If you need help completing your heritage statement, please refer to our guidance notes. You can upload your statement with your application, or post this to us at the address below:

Environment and Planning, Kings Court, Chapel Street, King's Lynn, Norfolk, PE30 1EX

When will I need consent?

We've listed the main types of work to a listed building in the table below. And whether you will need consent for them. This will help you decide if you need to apply for listed building consent. If you're in doubt, please check with us before proceeding with any work. Unauthorised work on a listed building, without approval, can lead to prosecution. 

Type of work

Is consent needed?

Further details

Repairs to windows and doors


*As long as the repairs are carried out in a like-for-like manner

Replace windows and doors


Even if they are of the exact same materials, consent is still needed

Build a conservatory, porch or extension

Yes, if it's attached to the main building or curtilage buildings

Planning permission may also be required

Build a separate building/structure within the curtilage


But planning permission may be required

Install a satellite dish


*If the dish is put on any part of the building or curtilage building. Planning permission may also be required

Repaint the exterior of the property


*Consent will be required if the building has not been painted before. And if the proposed colour affects the character and appearance of the building

Repair/replace the roof covering


*The replacement roof coverings must be done using the same material. Where possible, re-use existing pantiles, tiles or slates. If there will be any changes to the roof structure or appearance, you’ll need consent

Put up a fence, wall, or install gates within the curtilage


If the structure is attached to the main building or any curtilage building, consent may be required. Planning permission may also be required

Demolish any structure or building within the curtilage


If the building is within a conservation area, planning permission may be required

Fit solar panels or wind turbines


We’ll need to ensure that any installations don’t disturb or destroy historic fabric. Planning permission may also be required

Buildings at risk

Historic England produce a Register of Grade I and II* buildings at risk in England.  

Further information

For further information you can visit the:

We also have some guidance leaflets, these can be found at the bottom of this page.