Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use



Information about trees, including tree debris and tall trees

Tree debris

Tree debris includes leaves, fruit, sap and bird droppings.

We won't:

  • prune or fell a council owned tree to remove or reduce debris fall
  • remove fallen debris from private property

We can offer the following advice and information:

  • the loss of leaves from trees in the autumn is part of the natural cycle and can't be avoided by pruning
  • the maintenance of gutters is the responsibility of the landowner and we are not obliged to remove leaves that may have fallen from council owned trees- where gutters are regularly blocked by fallen leaves, gutter guards may be fitted to provide a low maintenance solution 
  • for roads, streets or the highway, extra teams are working in the autumn to clear fallen leaves
  • in parks and green spaces, paths or areas of hard standing are regularly cleared of fallen leaves - but leaves on grass / shrub beds are generally left until the majority of leaves have fallen before they are removed (unless leaving them would damage the grass, in which case the accumulated leaves will be removed sooner)
  • leaves are generally sent for composting

If you would like to report a road, street or highway that needs to be cleaned please contact us, our contact details are at the bottom of this page.


We won't prune or fell a council owned tree to improve natural light in a property.

In law there is no general right to light - any right to light would need to be established via a specific grant (rare) or by prescription. This can only occur where the right has been enjoyed uninterruptedly for a minimum of 20-years. 

Following this, a legal right to light can only be enjoyed in relation to a specific opening (such as a window) in a building.  

There is no right to light in connection with open land, such as a garden.

Further, if the above conditions are met, then an owner of the building is 'entitled to such access of light as will leave his premises adequately lit for all purposes for which they may reasonably expect to be used'. 

If natural light is being blocked by the growth of a hedge then action may be taken to reduce the problem under the High Hedges Act, Part 8 of the Anti-social Behaviour Act, 2003. For further information please see our page on High Hedges.

Tree and TV reception

We won't prune or fell a council owned tree to prevent interference with TV, satellite, broadband internet-installation, or reception.

It maybe that your satellite or TV provider will be able to suggest an alternative solution to the problem, for example relocating the aerial/dish or means to boost the signal.

Report a problem

If you would like to report a problem with a tree or have a general enquiry then please contact us, our contact details are below.