What happens if you've been overpaid, how you can pay this back, and your appeal rights
What is an overpayment?
An overpayment is an amount of benefit you've been paid, but are not entitled to.
Overpayments usually happen following a change, and where we have not been notified in time to revise your benefit entitlement. For example, if your income has increased.
If you have a change in your circumstances, it's important to let us know straight away.
What happens if you're overpaid?
Until 30 June 2020 we won't be recovering any overpaid Housing Benefit. This is in line with the suspension of overpayment recovery by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
We'll still write to you about the overpayment as you have a right of appeal if you disagree with our decision. However you don't need to do anything to repay the money at present. The letter will tell you:
- the reason for the overpayment
- how much you've been overpaid
- the dates the overpayment relates to
- if you have to pay back the overpayment
- how you can appeal
What happens if I am already paying back overpaid Housing Benefit?
We'll stop recovery action until 30 June 2020, and you don't need to repay any money during this time. Details of how we'll do this are below:
- Recovery from ongoing Housing Benefit payments – We'll stop the weekly deductions from your Housing Benefit for recovery of an overpayment until 30 June 2020
- Payment arrangements – We won't take any Direct Debits for payment arrangements until 30 June 2020. If you pay by any other method you can stop making payments until the end of June 2020
- Deductions from DWP benefits – The DWP will stop making deductions from other benefits that are repaying overpaid Housing Benefit until 30 June 2020
- Deductions from earnings – We'll contact employers to ask them to stop making deductions from your earnings that are recovering overpaid Housing Benefit until 30 June 2020
- Enforcement agents – All enforcement agent recovery action has been suspended until 30 June 2020
What if I still want to make payments towards my overpaid Housing Benefit?
You can still make payments using our online payments system.
To make payments online you'll need your:
- invoice number
- credit or debit card details
Or you can pay over the phone by calling 01553 616671, or by bank transfer quoting the following details:
- your invoice number
- sort code: 20-17-68
- account number: 80207349
Paying back Council Tax Support
We'll add your overpaid benefit to your Council Tax account. You'll receive a revised Council Tax bill telling you your new instalments. However, if you're suffering hardship due to the Coronavirus outbreak, and won't be able to pay your instalments, please contact us on 01553 616200. We'll be able to help.