Information about scrap metal dealers and getting a licence
Scrap metal dealers
If you're a scrap metal dealer you need to apply to us for a licence.
There are two different types of licence.
Scrap Metal Site Licence
If you have a scrap metal site in the borough, or are a motor salvage operator, then you'll need to apply to us for a site licence. This licence covers buying and selling scrap metal, and the transport of scrap metal to and from your site.
The cost of the site licence is £245 and is valid for three years.
Mobile Collectors Licence
You'll need to apply for a collectors licence if you:
- use a vehicle to collect scrap metal from within the borough; and
- take it to a scrap yard for payment, without storing it at a site
The cost of the collectors licence is £172 and is valid for three years.
Apply for a licence
You can apply for a scrap metal licence online.
To apply for a scrap metal licence you'll need:
- a basic disclosure from the GOV.UK website (when received, send in the basic disclosure to us)
- a debit or credit card for the fee (£245 or £172)
- one passport sized photograph (collectors licence only)
- a HMRC tax check code number from the GOV.UK website
Register of licensed scrap metal sites
We have a public register of all licensed sites and collectors.
For further information you can view our useful documents including:
- scrap metal frequently asked questions
- scrap metal guidance
These documents can be found in our document downloads below.
If you would like an application pack or any further information, please contact us.