Information about the Councillor Community Grant Scheme
How much can you apply for?
Grants applications can range from £50 to £1,000.
Who is eligible
Local constituted groups or organisations whose primary purpose is to benefit the residents of their community.
Who is not eligible
- Other local authorities/public sector bodies/parish councils
- Individuals not part of a community group
- Profit-based businesses
- Political and lobbying groups
- Nationwide organisations
What we will fund
Applications should focus on projects, initiatives or events that deliver a clear and demonstrative benefit to the people of west Norfolk.
Appropriate projects could include, but are not limited to:
- replacement equipment or improvements to community centres/halls
- a community newsletter
- contribution towards a specific event (lunch club, celebrations of national events such as the Platinum Jubilee, community picnics, refreshments after community events etc)
- improvements to community facilities (for example accessibility improvements)
- purchase of equipment for community use
- one-off hire costs
- one-off repairs
- major repairs such as repairing a section of roof or major boiler repairs (but not routine servicing) to community buildings.
- contributions towards initiatives with a specific purpose of improving the health, social mobility, social isolation and wellbeing of members of the community
What we will not fund
The Councillor Community Grant Scheme cannot be used for:
- retrospective funding for work/projects already commenced
- statutory activities that are either the council or another public sector organisation responsibility
- building or repairs costs which are the responsibility of another organisation or landlord
- recurring revenue costs (salaries, rent, maintenance)
- projects that benefit private businesses
- political activities, lobbying or campaigning
- projects that, in the assessment of the borough council show actual unlawful discrimination within the terms of the Equality Act 2010
Conditions of grant offer
The following standard conditions will be attached to each grant offer. The organisation or group will:
- only spend the grant on the project/initiative/event listed in their application and must do so within 12 months of the award date or they will return the funding,
- return a proportionate amount of the grant if the costs are less than expected or they receive additional funding towards the project/initiative/event,
- understand that the funding is non-transferrable and must be spent on the project/initiative/event listed in the application,
- comply with all relevant regulations, objectives, and delivery of its core activities,
- agree to have regard to the need to safeguard and promote the welfare of children, young people, and vulnerable adults,
- consult with the ward member before making significant changes to the project/initiative/event work covered by the grant,
- comply with any planning or legal requirements applicable to the project,
- acknowledge the council’s support in any press, publicity, or promotion of the project (consulting our communications team beforehand),
- acknowledge the council accepts no responsibility or liability for this project/initiative/event or the facilities it provides now or in the future.
Apply for the Councillor Community Grant Scheme
To apply for the Councillor Community Grant Scheme you'll need to provide:
- details of the organisation/group applying
- a description of the project/activity
- bank account details for the organisation/group
You will receive a decision within 6 weeks of submitting an application.