Who can apply for housing and the criteria you must meet
Who can apply?
You can apply to go on our housing register if you're over the age of 18 and:
- your annual income and savings are less than a third of the average property price in the area
- you have a local connection
You'll have a local connection if you:
- have lived in our borough for at least three out of the last five years, or;
- have close family (brothers, sisters, parents, children) who have been living in the borough for five years or more
Who can't apply?
You may not be accepted onto our register if:
- you're under immigration control
- you've been asked to leave a previous property due to unacceptable behaviour*
Unacceptable behaviour* is:
- anti-social behaviour
- a breach in tenancy conditions
- substantial tenancy arrears
If you live outside the borough
If you don't live in our area, you may not be able to apply for housing unless:
- you're a member or previously serving member (within five years) of the armed forces
- there are exceptional circumstances which require you to be in our area
Our full social housing allocations policy explains the rules governing our choice-based lettings scheme, which we operate on behalf of our 12 Housing Association partners.
If you meet the criteria and wish to apply, please visit our apply for the housing register page.
If you don't meet our criteria, private renting may be your best option. You can find out more on our private renting page.