Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Self-build house

Building your own home and intending to live in it as the owner/occupier

Who can apply

You can apply for exemption from CIL if you are building your own home, and intend to live in it as the owner/occupier.

How to apply

You'll need to:

The evidence must include proof of:

  • the date of completion (building completion notice, compliance certificate)
  • ownership (a copy of the title deeds)
  • occupation as your main residence (Council Tax certificate, utility bills, bank statement, electoral register)

In addition, you must also provide a copy of one of the following:

  • an approved claim from HMRC under VAT431NB - VAT refunds for DIY house builders
  • specialist self-build warranty
  • approved self-build mortgage from a bank or building society

You can email the form to us, or send it in the post (our contact details are at the bottom of the page).

Disqualifying event

A disqualifying event is where a change results in you no longer being entitled to relief or exemption.

If a disqualifying event occurs (like you sell your home) you must notify us in writing within 14 days of the event. If this is not done, a surcharge will be applied in addition to the levy.

You'll be charged the full amount for CIL if:

  • you sell or rent out your home within three years of the house being completed
  • your planning permission was approved between 15 February 2017 and 31 August 2019 and you fail to submit a commencement notice before starting any work (this must be submitted and received by us at least one day before starting any work)
  • you do not submit self-build exemption claim form (part 2) and relevant evidence within six month of completion of the dwelling

Definition of completion

Completion is defined as the issuing of a compliance certificate under Regulation 16 of the Building Regulations 2010.

Important information

It's important that you do not begin work until you submit your application for exemption, and you receive notice from us with a decision.

If you start any work, including digging foundations, your application for exemption will be refused.


Please contact the CIL Officer on 01553 616443 if you have any questions or disagree with any aspect of the CIL prior to making an appeal.

You have the right to appeal against a grant of relief to the Valuation Office Agency