Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use



How to report a noise nuisance and what we'll do with your report

Noise nuisance

We investigate complaints of statutory nuisance arising from domestic or commercial/industrial sources. These can include but are not limited to:

  • loud music
  • barking dogs
  • DIY
  • noise from commercial and industrial premises
  • construction sites
  • prolonged ringing of burglar and car alarms

What we can't investigate

Noise nuisance is covered by Part III of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. This law empowers us to deal with noise from premises and in some cases the street. We can't investigate noise from:

  • children in the street
  • traffic noise
  • aircraft noise

Before we take action

Before action can be taken, we have to be sure that the noise constitutes a statutory nuisance. This means that we have to prove the noise is causing an unreasonable and persistent disturbance to your lifestyle, or is harmful to your health.

More information on how statutory nuisances are investigated, can be found on the GOV.UK website.

If you're experiencing a noise nuisance, you should think about talking to the person responsible for the noise. Sometimes the person may not realise they're causing a problem. The GOV.UK website has advice on how you can resolve neighbour disputes.

If this doesn't work, it's useful to have supporting evidence when you make your complaint. This will include information on how often you are disturbed, and the impact the noise is having on you.

If you're a tenant experiencing a problem with noise, please speak to your housing manager or landlord to resolve the issue, before contacting us.

Any action we take will be in line with our corporate enforcement policy.

Report a noise nuisance

You can report noise nuisance using our online report form. You can now track the progress of your report through registering for our My Account service.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To report noise nuisance you'll need:

  • the address the noise is coming from
  • the frequency and type of noise

Report noise nuisance

Please note; we won't be able to investigate anonymous complaints.

How long will it take?

Nuisance investigations are often quite complex, and the process can be lengthy. However, we'll contact you initially to discuss the issue. We aim to contact you within five days of receiving your complaint.