Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Disabled relief

How to apply for a Council Tax reduction if you're disabled

Who can apply

You may be able to get a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you, or someone living with you, is permanently disabled.

Your home must have one of the features below:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen for the specific needs of the disabled person
  • an extra room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet), used mainly by the disabled person for their needs
  • extra space inside your home for wheelchair use

To qualify, the extra room or space must be of vital importance to the disabled persons well-being. Without it, they may find it extremely difficult to live in the home.

How much is the reduction?

If the relief is awarded, we'll charge Council Tax at the valuation band below the one your home is in. This will ensure the disabled person is not paying more because of a need for extra space.

For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to a Band C. You'll get a part reduction even if your home is in band A.

Apply for disabled relief

What you'll need to apply:

  • your Council Tax account number (you can find this on your bill)
  • details of the adaptations in your home

Apply for disabled relief