We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Universal Credit

Universal Credit is the new benefit for working age people

About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in or out of work. It combines the following benefits into one payment:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Who can claim

If you need to make a new claim for any of the six benefits listed above, you’ll need to claim Universal Credit by visiting the GOV.UK website.

There are exceptions to this. If:

  • you're pension age, or 
  • you're living in temporary or supported accommodation, or 
  • you receive the Severe Disability Premium

you'll be able to claim Housing Benefit in the usual way.

If you're already on one of the benefits listed above, you won't need to do anything for now. Your benefit will continue until either:

  • a change takes place which means your benefit is cancelled. You'll then need to apply for Universal Credit if you need help again in the future
  • the Department for Work and Pensions transfers you to Universal Credit. We're expecting this to start from July 2019

Claiming Council Tax Support

You'll still need to apply to us for help with your Council Tax. This is not included in Universal Credit. To apply, please visit our Council Tax Support page.

If you're still unsure what you need to claim, you can check using our interactive tool below:

How it's paid

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment, paid into your bank account in arrears. It includes money towards your rent. Your Housing Benefit will stop when you start claiming Universal Credit.

How much you'll receive

The amount you get will depend on how much income you have and your household circumstances. You can find out more by using the GOV.UK benefit calculators.

Get ready

Universal Credit is paid directly to you. You'll need to open a bank account if you don't already have one.

The monthly payment you'll receive will cover rent, bills and any other living expenses. If you need help with managing money or debt advice, please visit our other benefits and agencies page.

You can only apply for Universal Credit online. You'll need a valid email address to be able to apply. You'll also need proof of your identity to set up your Universal Credit account.

How to claim

To apply for Universal Credit via GOV.UK you'll need:

  • a valid email address
  • your National Insurance Number
  • information about your housing (including how much rent you pay)
  • details of income and savings
  • details of how much you pay for childcare (if applicable)

Apply for Universal Credit