Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Trees in a conservation area

Find out about trees within a conservation area, and how to tell us about proposed work

Works you must tell us about

You must tell us about works to trees within a conservation area with a trunk diameter of 75mm or greater (measured at 1.5m above ground level). Such trees carry the same protection and penalties as a tree covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO). The work you must tell us about includes:

  • felling
  • lopping
  • topping
  • uproot
  • wilful damage

Works you don't need to tell us

You will not need approval for:

  • works to a tree with a trunk diameter of less than 75mm (measured 1.5m above the ground)
  • pruning of fruit trees where the trees are cultivated, and the pruning is needed for fruit production
  • where a tree is dead or believed to be dangerous (although notice of works will need to be given; for more information see dead or dangerous trees)

Check to see if a tree is in a conservation area

You can check if a tree is within the boundaries of a conservation area by using our interactive map.

Trees will appear on the map under the following types:

  • individual tree
  • group of trees
  • woodland
  • area

Our map will also show any trees protected by a tree preservation order. If a tree is protected, you must apply for permission before carrying out any works to it. You can find out more on our tree preservation area page.

To find tree preservation orders (TPO's) and trees in conservation areas, please provide us with your address by following the link 'set your location'. You'll then able to view TPO's and trees in conservation areas that are near to you.

Apply for permission

Once you’ve established a tree is in a conservation area, you’ll need to give us six weeks notice of any work you intend to carry out. You'll not be able to start work until you have received our decision. If we grant you permission you have two years to do the work.

To apply for permission to do work to a tree within a conservation area you'll need:

  • the location of the tree
  • to include a sketch plan giving the tree's location

Apply for permission

Works without consent

If you do work to a tree in a conservation area without permission, you could be prosecuted. The maximum fine is £20,000 for each tree. You would also be asked to replace the tree you've removed.

Development sites

Existing trees and hedgerows on sites where planning permission has been granted for development, may be subject to conditions. You may not be able to carry out works to them without prior consent from us. The same conditions may apply to trees that were planted as part of an approved landscaping scheme, in conjunction with the development.

Trees in relation to new developments are regarded as a separate issue.

Any tree work we make necessary as part of an approved planning application, will not need a separate tree work application.

Tree surgeons

To find an accredited tree surgeon, please see our tree surgeon list.