Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


New electrical safety standards for landlords

Hand holding house keys with information for private landlords written above it.

Published: Wednesday, 8th July 2020

Private landlords across west Norfolk are being urged to make sure their rented properties adhere to the new electrical safety standards that came into force on 1 June 2020.

The new regulations require landlords to:

  • ensure that electrical safety standards are met during any period of a tenancy
  • have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every five years, or more frequently if the most recent report requires this
  • provide a copy of the report (known as the Electrical Installation Condition Report or EICR) to their tenants, and to the Council if requested
  • carry out investigative or remedial works identified in the EICR by the deadline specified

Cllr Adrian Lawrence, cabinet member for housing at the Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk, said: “Landlords already have to keep the electrical installations in their rented properties safe and in working order, most already do this.

“These new rules mean that landlords must get the electrical installation checked at least every 5 years by a qualified person. In addition to this landlords are still required to have their gas supply inspections carried out every 12 months.

“I would encourage landlords, managing agents and tenants to look at the new regulations on the borough council website.”

The rules apply to all new tenancies from 1 July 2020 and all existing tenancies by 1 April 2021. Where testing identifies defects, landlords will also be required to forward confirmation that these works have been remedied to both the tenant and the borough council.

These Regulations do not cover social housing. Council tenants or tenants of housing associations should contact their housing provider if they are worried about the electrics in the property. These Regulations also do not cover tenants who live with their landlord (lodgers).

More details can be found through the housing page at

Also see