Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Club premises

What qualifies as a club and how to apply for a club premises certificate

What is a club?

Clubs are organisations where members have joined together for particular social, sporting or political purposes. The club may combine to buy alcohol to supply to it's members. It may also put on entertainment and late night refreshment as part of their operation for members.

A qualifying club has general conditions it must satisfy. These are:

  • a person may not be given automatic membership (there must be at least two days interval from the membership application and their membership being granted)
  • their club rules state that those becoming a member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Additional conditions in relation to the supply of alcohol must be complied with. These conditions are:

  • that alcohol purchased for and supplied by the club is done by members of club who are over 18 years of age and are elected to do so by the members (for example, a bar steward over 18)
  • that no person at the expense of the club receives any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • that there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

What is a club premises certificate for?

Any qualifying club that carries out the following activities require a premises licence under the Licensing Act 2003:

  • supply or alcohol to members and their guests  
  • regulated entertainment which may include plays, films, indoor sporting events, boxing or wrestling entertainment, live music, recorded music, performance of dancing, anything of a similar description to live music, recorded music or performance of dance


We can only process applications where the club is located in our area.

Application forms are specific in what information is needed and therefore guidance on how to complete this is available: 

To apply for a Club Premises Certificate you'll need to provide:

  • a completed application form for a club premises licence (copies of which need to be sent by the applicant to all of the consultees on the front of the application form)
  • a set of plans for the premises (to scale)
  • a completed club declaration (detailing the club rules and the relevant qualifying statements)
  • the appropriate fee - this depends on the rateable value of the property and there is banding of fees depending on which rate you pay

Apply for a club premises certificate

If you are unsure of your current Non Domestic Rateable Value you should be able to confirm this on the Valuation Office website.

Each club premises certificate granted also has to pay an annual fee which is invoiced on the anniversary of when this licence is first issued.

What's next?

You'll then need to:

  • place a public notice on the premises showing the correct consultation period and keep this in place for this period of time;
  • place the same public notice in a local newspaper within 10 working days of submitting the application.

If we issue a premises licence you can expect to receive this one month after your application. The 28 day consultation period allows consultees and members of the public time to consider your application and raise any concerns under the licencing objectives. Once the period has expired we will issue your licence shortly after.

A hearing must be held if any representations are made, in respect of the application. If a hearing is held, depending on the results, the licence can:

  • be granted
  • be granted subject to additional conditions
  • have licensable activities listed in the application be excluded
  • be rejected

A club premises certificate licence lasts for an unlimited time unless the licence is withdrawn (the club is disbanded or no longer qualifies for the certificate), suspended or surrendered.

Popular applications you can submit for your club premises certificate

Minor variations

If you want to make small changes to a certificate which includes premises layouts or structures, small adjustments to licensing hours (not including sale of alcohol hours), removal or addition of conditions, to add licensable activities (other than the sale of alcohol). The fee for a minor variation is £89.00. Minor Variation Guidance should be read prior to submitting your application. The form and guidance can be found at the bottom of this page. Or alternatively you can use our online form below:

Changes to club rules and/or changes to the Name of the club

If you update and/or make any changes to the rules of the club you need to notify us of such change and send a copy to The Norfolk Constabulary. The fee for this is £10.50 and you also need to return club premises certificate and summary. The form can be found at the bottom of this page.

Variation for a Club Premises Certificate

To make major changes to the layout of a premises or revise the supply of alcohol  activity on the current certificate. Even though this application is the same course of procedure as a brand new application, the advantage is that only the changes can be considered in the consultation process. The form can be found at the bottom of this page, or you can complete the online form below:

Change in club rules

You must tell us about any change in club rules. Please use our online form below:

Useful Documents

The following useful documents can be found at the bottom of the page.
  • responsible authorities - a list of our responsible authorities to whom new and variation application need to be sent to
  • certificate of service - this provides proof that the responsible authorities have been given a copy of an application where applicable
  • certificate of display - this provides proof that an application for a new premises / club certificate or a  variation application has been displayed on the premises and newspaper
  • example of the public notice - new grant of a premises licence 
  • example of Public Notice  - full variation of a premises licence 

Further information

If you have any further queries or require further information please contact us.