Information on the development of the Hunstanton Southern Seafront Masterplan 2018
About the Masterplan
The southern seafront area has been identified as a priority in the Hunstanton Prosperity Coastal Community Team Prospectus, which was endorsed by Cabinet in April 2017.
Hunstanton Prosperity, successfully secured £50k from the Norfolk Business Rates Pool (match funded by the borough council) to develop a vision and a viable Masterplan, informed by supporting documentation, for the southern seafront area.
The Masterplan will provide a viable concept and implementation strategy for:
- the promotion of development opportunities in the area
- the attraction of new investment
- a programme of enhancement to the visitor
The Masterplan exercise is to assess the feasibility (development potential and viability) for mixed use redevelopment, options for public realm, vacant sites and underutilised sites within the study area. It's broken down into 3 parts:
- southern seafront sites behind the sea defence
- public realm enhancements and use of the promenade over and above its role as a sea defence
- the feasibility of a marine lake to retain water and provide an extended offer
The tender exercise was completed in April 2018, and Hemingway Design have been appointed. You can see their vision by downloading their proposal document.
Hemingway Design is a multi-disciplinary consultancy. It has relevant sub-contractors involved with specific knowledge and experience, for example, marine engineering.
Hemingway Design has been involved in a number of coastal town projects including Margate, Lowestoft, Bognor Regis and Morecombe to name a few.
The council team involved in the tender process were very impressed with Hemingway Design’s understanding of Hunstanton, and also their:
- approach to consultation and engagement
- ideas for galvanising an exciting vision for this part of the town
Hemingway Design are now seeking your views. To have a chance to contribute to the future of the southern seafront area, please complete their online survey; it will take no more than 10 minutes.
You can find the survey on the Hemingway Design website.