Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use


Essential maintenance — Our Public Access (planning system) will be unavailable from 10:00pm on 19 November for a short period of time

Apply for or cancel a garden waste bin

How to apply for a garden waste bin, or cancel the garden waste service

Apply for a garden waste bin

For an annual direct debit fee of just £52*, you can do your bit for our local environment by joining 24,000 other homes in the brown bin garden waste scheme.

* If you choose not to pay by direct debit, we’ll send you an invoice when your annual payment is due. A £5 administration charge is added to non-direct debit payments.

What we will collect

We will collect:

  • grass and hedge clippings
  • twigs and small branches
  • cut flowers
  • windfall fruit
  • leaves
  • prunings from shrubs

What we won't collect

We won't collect

  • soil
  • stones or gravel
  • seed trays or flower pots
  • kitchen or food waste
  • pet litter

To apply for a garden waste bin, you'll need:

  • your full address, including postcode
  • a debit or credit card for the fee

Apply for a garden waste bin

If you’re applying for a second garden waste bin you’ll need to apply for one on our new or replacement bin page.

What happens next?

Once we've received your form and payment, we’ll deliver your bin, usually within one calendar month. As part of the application process, we'll create you an account. And we’ll send you a direct debit mandate for future payments.

Please note the following:

  • your bin will be collected fortnightly. You can find out the dates for your brown bin collection on the bin and recycling collection dates page. Please note, there is no collection of garden waste bins during the Christmas and New Year period
  • you should put your bin out at the boundary of your property before 7:00am on collection day (but after 7:00pm the previous evening)
  • please put your house number or house name on your bin
  • please don't hesitate to contact us if putting your bin out is a bit of a struggle - we can help (please see our assisted collection page)

Cancel your garden waste bin or tell us about a change

If you're moving address you should take your garden waste bin with you. Please tell us your new address using our online form below. Please also complete the form if you’re moving out of our area and wish to cancel your garden waste bin (in which case you should not take the bin with you).

You can tell us you've moved or cancel your garden waste bin using our online report form. You can now track the progress of your report through registering for our My Account service.

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to securely access our services 24/7.

To tell us you've moved or to cancel your garden waste bin, you'll need to provide:

  • your new address
  • the reason you're cancelling (if applicable)

Cancel your garden waste bin or tell us you've moved

Change in personal details?

If you've had a name change or a change in your contact details, please let us know using our change in personal details form. We'll pass the details of your change onto any other council departments who need to know.

Compost bins

Garden waste cannot be disposed of in your black bin. If you do not wish to join the brown bin scheme you can compost your garden waste at home or can take it to a Norfolk County Council household recycling centre.