Message about use of cookies

We use cookies to improve your experience. By viewing our content you are accepting the use of cookies. Read about cookies we use



What to do if you're homeless or threatened with homelessness

Housing advice and preventing homelessness

We provide advice about housing, homelessness, and what can be done to prevent homelessness. We suggest what to do, and who to contact.

Our housing options and homelessness service

You can find more information and advice on this website about your housing options.

If you're homeless, or threatened with homelessness within 28 days, you may be entitled to more help. 

We need to be sure of all the facts before we can decide what advice and other help we can give you. 

We will:

  • try to help prevent you becoming homeless 
  • ask you to complete and sign a form, and provide us with relevant information and supporting documents
  • talk to other people if necessary (for example, relatives, your landlord, or your GP)

To apply for advice please contact us on 01553 616675. If it's out of hours please call 01553 616601.

How we access a homelessness application

When assessing a homelessness application we have to consider five tests. Are you:

  • eligible for assistance (this is about whether you usually live in UK, your nationality, and your immigration status)
  • homeless, or threatened with homelessness in 28 days
  • in priority need (this will depend on your circumstances, for example, how old you are and who is in your household)
  • intentionally homeless (this is about what you have or haven't done that has caused your homelessness; for example, if you failed to pay rent or mortgage when you could afford to, or moved out of a property when you could have stayed there)


  • do you have a local connection within King's Lynn and West Norfolk (there are rules about local connection and homelessness that apply across England)

If you meet all five tests then we may have a duty to secure suitable accommodation for you. 

If you disagree with our decision, you have the right to ask for a review.

You can get independent advice from organisations such as Shelter and CAB

Rough sleepers

If you're rough sleeping, the StreetLink website provides useful information. It can link someone sleeping rough with local advice and services. Or you can phone 0300 500 0914.

Locally, the Purfleet Trust supports rough sleepers to help move off the street.

If you're aware of a rough sleeper, and would like to help, please visit the StreetLink website or call 0300 500 0914 to report your concern.

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse can be physical, emotional, financial, sexual or any combination.

For help 24 hours a day, you can call the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

If the situation is not an emergency but you need to call the police, please phone 101.

If you, or anyone else, is at immediate risk of harm, phone the police on 999.

For more information about domestic abuse, please visit the following websites:

If you feel you cannot stay in your home, or want to know more about your housing options, we can advise you.

To contact our housing options team please phone 01553 616675.

Domestic abuse disclosure (Clare's Law)

If you're in a relationship and you're concerned that your partner may be abusive towards you, you can ask the police to disclose information about the individual. You can also ask for information if you're concerned about someone else, such as a family member.

For more info please visit the Norfolk Police website.