Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licences
- He or she is medically fit;
- He or she has held a full driver's licence (not a provisional licence) granted to the applicant under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1972 authorising him/her to drive a motor car for at least twelve months prior to the date of the application;
- He or she must pass a police criminality check carried out by the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) to ensure safety to the public.
- Must undertake and pass a Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency Test before they are licensed. This test details are available from any DVSA centre offering the 'taxi test'. Further details can be found on https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/driver-and-vehicle-standards-agency/services-information
- Will be required to undertake and pass a 'knowledge test' before they are licensed by the Borough Council. The test will cover licensing conditions and procedures, the highway code, knowledge of the local area and basic literacy and numeracy. This shall be organised for you following the submission of a new application and you shall be notified of the date of test accordingly.
- Prove that he/she has a right to work in the UK. The Right to Work checklist (129kb, pdf) confirms what documents are needed to confirm this and should be provided before a licence can be issued.
This can then determine whether he or she is a fit and proper person to hold a licence.
How to Apply
- The completed application form including a complete Medical Certificate from (and signed by) a Doctor (see above).
- Your DVLA Driving Licence (original - not a photocopy) showing your current address. If you hold a Card and Paper licence, both parts will be needed.
- Proof of passing the DSA test (effective from the 1st September 2011)
- The Right to work Checklist with appropriate documentation;
- Fee - see link below for up to date charges:
Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Fees (13kb, pdf)
- DBS application with appropriate identification.
If you hold a driving licence issued by Northern Ireland or an EU Country other than the UK you will need to obtain a driving licence counterpart from the DVLA by completing a D9 Counterpart application . Submit this to us with your application to be a Combined Driver.
Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Licensing Conditions
Conditions Booklet (pdf 664Kb)
Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check
Last updated: 26 April 2016
Find My Nearest
Related Documents and Forms
Driver Application (pdf 195Kb)
Medical Report (pdf 155Kb)
Current Fees and Charges (pdf 14Kb)
Conditions Booklet (pdf 151Kb)
List of Required Identification (pdf 4Kb)
Related External Links