Pet Shop Licence
The keeping and running of a pet shop is controlled by the Pet Animals Act 1951.
Who can apply?
Any person(s) can apply providing the applicant for the licence has not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
Considerations upon Application
Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness,
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals,
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young,
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals,
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.
Individual conditions may be attached to any licence however Standard Conditions (pdf 54Kb) apply in all circumstances.
How to apply
Licensing Fees and Charges 2013/2014 (pdf 107Kb)
All Cheques should be made payable to 'BCKL&WN'.
What happens next?
Reptile Salmonella Advice Leaflet (pdf 404Kb)
Last updated: 02 September 2015
Find My Nearest
The links below will take you to the BusinessLink website which processes these applications on our behalf:
Related Documents and Forms
Pet Shop Licence Application or Renewal Form (pdf 101Kb)
How do you rate
this service / information?