Council Tax

Popular Tasks for Council Tax

Council Tax is a local tax, set by each local Council, to help pay for local services. The tax has two elements, a property element and a personal element. When the Council Tax is set it is assumed that two adults live in the property.


If only one adult lives in the property, Council Tax for that property will be reduced by 25%.  The amount you pay depends on which Council Tax band your property falls in.


One bill for each property


There is only one bill for each property and this must usually be paid by the owner occupier or tenant of the property. Generally, the owner must also pay the bill if nobody lives in the property as their main home.


How much will I have to pay?


This depends on what valuation band your home is in. The higher the band the more you pay. The Council Tax is set each March and we will send you a bill for the amount you have to pay by the end of March each year. If you are on a low income, Council Tax Support could help pay some, or all, of your Council Tax bill.


Normally you will be offered ten instalments, although that number will be reduced if the bill is issued after the end of April. In most cases the payment free months are Feb and March but consult your newest bill for your instalments that are due.


See our Council Tax 2016-2017 page to see the full Council Tax amount due for each band, before any deductions are made for discounts, exemptions or council tax support.


To find out how the Council Tax levels were set and where the money goes to, please see the Your Council Tax Explained page.


Is Council Tax charged on all properties?


Council Tax is not charged on some properties. These properties are known as Exempt Properties.


How can I pay?


You can pay your Council Tax bill for a year in ten monthly instalments. There are several ways to pay, the easiest payment method is Direct Debit. 


To set up a Direct Debit please contact us on 01553 616200.


Can I appeal regarding Liability, ExemptionsDiscounts, or the Band I have been placed in?


You can appeal against the Council's decision

  • that you are liable for Council Tax
  • that a property should or should not be exempt
  • whether a discount should or should not be allowed or
  • any decision taken by the Council in relation to Council Tax Support

Appeals against these Council decisions should be made in writing to:


Finance & Resources Department

Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk

PO Box 26

Kings Lynn


PE30 1EX


Please Note:  Making an appeal does not mean you can withhold payment of Council Tax. 


Appeals against Council Tax bands


You should appeal in writing to:


Valuation Office: The Listing Officer

Rosebery Court

Central Avenue

St Andrews Business Park





You can also appeal online via the Valuation Office Agency website.


Please Note:  Making an appeal does not mean you can withhold payment of council tax. 


Council Tax Completion Notices


A Completion Notice will be issued by The Borough Council of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk when we consider that the work remaining to be done on a new building can reasonably be expected to be completed within 3 months.


Last updated: 15 March 2016
Bookmark and Share What is this?