West Norfolk Homechoice

Popular Task for West Norfolk Homechoice 

Changes to West Norfolk Homechoice


West Norfolk Homechoice is making improvements to its service to customers including changes to our website and the introduction of on-line application forms.


Those wishing to apply to join the Homechoice housing register will need to complete an online application form .


Demand for the new service is likely to be high for the first few days, this may mean it takes longer to complete the form than when fewer people are trying to access the service.


For those customers with no access to the internet via a personal computer, laptop,tablet or smartphone or with no family,freinds or support worker to assist them, an on-line application form can be completed by using the self-ser vice computers at the Council Information Centres in Kings Lynn, Downham Market or Hunstanton.




What is West Norfolk Homechoice?


With West Norfolk Homechoice you can apply to rent a home of your choice rather than having to wait for an offer that somebody else thinks is suitable for you.


Please note that demand for most types of accommodation is outstripped by the supply and acceptance onto the housing register is no guarantee that we will be able to assist you with housing. You should also investigate renting in the private sector to increase your chances of finding suitable accommodation.


The scheme is administered by us in partnership with housing associations in the area.  All available properties are advertised weekly on our website. 


Please see the Guide to West Norfolk Homechoice  for full details of how the scheme works.


You must complete an application form  and be accepted on the West Norfolk Housing Register to be able to bid for available properties. All applicants applying to West Norfolk Homechoice are required to provide proof of identity and income for all households members.


Applicants will normally only be accepted onto the Homechoice register if they have a local connection to the borough in accordance with the Guide to West Norfolk Homechoice.


West Norfolk Homechoice policy regarding local connection has been amended from 1 October 2014 with the addition of the following:

  • You have a local connection if you have been living in the area of the Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk for at least 3 out of the last 5 years
  • You have a local connection if you have close family (parents, children, brothers or sisters) who have been living in the Borough for at least 5 years (evidence of their relationship to you and length of their residence will be required)

Applicants whose income, savings and equity total more than one third of the average suitable property price in West Norfolk will not be admitted to the Homechoice register except where there is an overwhelming need to live in the borough on welfare grounds and where extreme hardship would occur.


Weekly Adverts


Available properties are advertised on a weekly basis.


You can register bids from Wednesday of each week using this website. Click on ‘Bid for a property using West Norfolk Homechoice’ at the top of this page and register to use the service.


All bids for advertised properties must be received by 12 noon on the Monday following them becoming available


Valentine Place Lettings Plan


Hillington Square Residents Commitments


Keeble Court Lettings Plan


Millfleet Court Lettings Plan


Important Changes to Housing Benefit 


Rent Charges on Wherry Homes


Freebridge Community Housing Tenancy Policy


Freebridge Community Housing Appeals Policy


Freebridge Community Housing Properties for Rent


Help to Buy


The Government created the Help to Buy scheme to help people take steps to buy their own home.


Whether you are looking to get onto the housing ladder or move up it, there are a number of Help to Buy products designed to make buying a home more affordable, including:


Shared ownership - New build and Re-sales


Depending on how much you can afford, shared ownership allows you to buy a percentage share of a property while a local housing association retains the other share.


It is sometimes known as “part-buy part-rent” because you will then be charged a rental payment on the remaining share owned by the housing association. In most cases shared owners can choose to buy additional shares later on to increase their equity.


Equity loans


The Help to Buy equity loan is designed to help you purchase specific new-build properties priced up to £600,000 from participating registered developers with as little as a 5% deposit.


The Government lends you up to 20% of the cost of your new-build home, so you’ll only need to provide a 5% cash deposit and a 75% mortgage to make up the rest. You also won’t be charged loan fees on the 20% loan for the first five years of owning your home


Want to find out more?


bpha are delivering this service on behalf of the Homes and Communities Agency in the East and South East of England. For more information please visit the Help To Buy website or call 03333 214044


Village Homes


For new homes provided by a Housing Association on a Rural Housing Exception site, preference is given to those that have a strong local connection to the particular village or parish.


Please note, applicants must meet the West Norfolk Homechoice allocations policy criteria as set out in the Guide to West Norfolk Homechoice


Please click on the links below to see the local connection criteria for each site.


Boundary Close, Hockwold (pdf 10Kb)

Birdbeck Drive, Outwell (31kb)

Charles Dewar Close, Station Road, Great Massingham (pdf 10Kb)

Charles Dewar Close, Freebridge Community Housing Homes, Great Massingham

Common Lane, Brancaster Staithe (pdf 10Kb)

Cherry Tree Road, Snettisham (pdf 10Kb)

Church Road, Clenchwarton (pdf 10Kb)

Clapper Lane, Clenchwarton (New build Passivhaus homes) (pdf 18kb)

Crofts Close, Burnham Market (pdf 10Kb)

Dalegate Lane, Burnham Deepdale (pdf 9Kb)

Edinburgh Cottages, West Newton (pdf 8Kb)

Edmund Moundeford Road, Feltwell (pdf 9Kb)

Furlong Road, Stoke Ferry (pdf 11Kb)

Hall Farm, Back Street, Gayton (pdf 12Kb)

Jarvie Close, Sedgeford (pdf 9Kb)

Jewels Close, Bellamy Lane, Burnham Market (pdf 11Kb)

Lamsey Lane, Heacham (pdf 9Kb)

Leicester Road, South Creake (pdf 10Kb)

Millers Place, Harpley (pdf 10Kb)

Old Bedford Row, Welney (pdf 11Kb)

Roosters Close, Snettisham (pdf 10Kb)

Saxon Field, Brancaster (pdf 9.18Kb)

School Road, East Rudham (pdf 10Kb)

Shammer Close, Docking (pdf 10Kb)

Sutton Road, Terrington St Clement (pdf 11Kb)

Tower Road, Burnham Overy Staithe (pdf 12kb)

Upcher Close, Feltwell (pdf 13Kb)

Waveney Road/Sheepfield Grove, Hunstanton (pdf 30kb)

Woodgate Way, Docking (pdf 28Kb)


Mutual Exchanges


If you are currently a Housing Association tenant, you may wish to consider a mutual exchange (swap) of tenancies. You should contact your own landlord for more information.


Tenants of Broadland Housing Association, Freebridge Community Housing, Guinness Trust, Minster General Housing, Orbit, Peddars Way and Wherry may register at the House Exchange Website


Employment, Training, Benefits and Money Advice Information


Are you seeking work and training opportunities?


If you are seeking work employment and training opportunities across the local or wider region the following websites may be useful in offering further help and information.


Job search - Use this link to search Jobcentre Plus to find out about jobs and claiming benefits which you may be entitled to. Also search for training, career information, voluntary work and childcare providers across this or any area of the UK.


Benefits advisor - Do you need help, advice or information about benefits? Use this link to answer questions online about your savings, income and outgoings, to get benefit advice, for you/your family or for someone else. You will not be asked for your name or address.


Find your way back to work - If you need tips on applying for jobs and interviews or want to develop your skills, you’ll find a range of support and advice using this link to the Directgov website.


Redundancy and leaving your job - Are you threatened with redundancy or dismissal? Do you need access to information which will help you to reach a decision about redundancy or dismissal? Then use this link to access a range of useful information which may help and guide you.


Managing debt - Do you need help, advice or information to help you manage yours debts? Use this link to find out more.


If you have any further queries regarding the West Norfolk Homechoice scheme then please do not hesitate to contact us on: 01553 616200.


Contact Details


Telephone: 01553 616200
Fax: 01553 768999

West Norfolk Homechoice

Environmental Health & Housing

Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk

King’s Court

Chapel Street

King’s Lynn

PE30 1EX


Last updated: 08 June 2016
Bookmark and Share What is this?