Council Tax Support - Second Adult Rebate

Important Changes to the Council Tax Support Scheme


The existing Council Tax Support Scheme which helps people on low income to pay their Council Tax is being changed from April 2014 for working age people. This means if you are working age the amount of help you receive may be reduced from April 2014.


The changes will not affect you if you are in one of the following groups:

• You are Pension Age


You are in one of the following Protected Groups:

• You have at least one child under the age of 5 in your household

• You receive the Disability Premium or Child Disability Premium when we calculate your weekly income allowance

• You receive the Support Component of Employment Support Allowance

• You receive or have underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance


Second Adult Rebate is a form of Council Tax Support. Single people in a household are awarded 25% Single Person Discount, regardless of their own means. Second Adult Rebate is intended to compensate you if you do not receive this discount because a 'dependant' adult lives with you. 
You cannot claim Second Adult Rebate if you are married or have a partner or are Working Age and not in one of the protected groups. The only time that Second Adult Rebate is paid in respect of a couple is if one of them is 'disregarded' for Council Tax purposes.
If you are Pension Age or Working Age and in one of the Protected Groups you may be able to have your bill reduced, regardless of your own circumstances (including earnings and savings) because other people who live with you are on benefit or a low Income. 
The Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Claim Form (pdf 472Kb). indicates limited sections that need to be completed, as it is the details of any "second adults" who are now living in the property that are required, not details relating to the claimant. 
A Second Adult must:
  • live with you
  • not be jointly liable for the Council Tax with you 
  • not qualify for any other Council Tax Discount
  • not pay rent to you 
In practice, this is most likely to be a grown-up child still living in the family home.
Where there is more than one other adult in the property, the Second Adult Rebate is based on the combined gross income of all of the second adults. 
Income for Second Adult Rebate is worked out in the same way as for non-dependants, i.e. income (gross) plus annual interest from capital.

Contact Details:

Telephone: 01553 616200

In Writing:
Finance & Resources Department
Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk
PO Box 26
King's Lynn
PE30 1EX


Last updated: 14 August 2014
Bookmark and Share What is this?