Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit – Supporting Documentation
Popular Tasks for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
When submitting a new claim for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you may be asked to provide supporting documentation, which is based on the information you provide within the form.
Once you have completed the form you will be advised what supporting documentation is required to process your claim.
At this point you will be advised what documents are acceptable and offered the opportunity to upload the evidence to support your claim.
You can submit your documentation online to support your new benefit claim using the following:
- Photos of original documents taken on your mobile phone or tablet
- Scans of the original document made using a scanner at home
- Electronic documents you already have for example wage slips, bank statements etc.
When uploading your supporting documentation it must meet specific standards, otherwise we won’t be able to process your new claim. The supporting documentation you provide:
- must be clear and in focus, not blurry
- must not be too light or dark
- must be legible
- must be unaltered by computer software
- must contain the whole document (you can provide more than one photograph if it will not fit)
- can be in colour or black and white
The maximum file size is 5MB
The following document formats are acceptable:
- Word DOC
If the supporting documentation does not meet the above quality standards, then we may need to contact you for clarification or to ask you to provide further information, which may result in a delay to your claim.
In some cases we may need to see the original documents as evidence to support the information given on your claim form.
If you do not have the facility to upload your supporting documentation, then you can provide the information in one of our doc-drop boxes:
- envelopes are provided near the doc-drop box;
- the supporting documents must be originals, not copies;
- you must complete the label on the envelope before posting in the doc-drop box;
- the supporting documentation will be scanned to the work management system and returned by post
Doc-Drop Boxes are located in the King’s Lynn, Downham Market and Hunstanton Council Information Centres.
Alternatively you can post the supporting documentation to: Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk, PO Box 26, King’s Lynn, Norfolk, PE30 1PX.
Retention of supporting documentation
Photographs taken by the Borough Council or provided by you will be regarded as confidential personal data in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
All photographs and supporting documentation will be stored securely and retained in accordance to the Borough Council’s retention procedure, and are subject to the same rules and laws that apply to documentary information provided.
Last updated: 02 September 2015
Find My Nearest
Related Documents and Forms
Earnings Certificate Form (pdf 136KB)
Self Employed Form (736KB)
Proof of Rent Form (pdf 48Kb)
Online Claim Form - Frequently Asked Questions
How do you rate
this service / information?