Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Evidence Requirements

Important Changes to the Council Tax Support Scheme


The existing Council Tax Support Scheme which helps people on low income to pay their Council Tax is being changed from April 2014 for working age people. This means if you are working age the amount of help you receive may be reduced from April 2014.


The changes will not affect you if you are in one of the following groups:

• You are Pension Age


You are in one of the following Protected Groups:

• You have at least one child under the age of 5 in your household

• You receive the Disability Premium or Child Disability Premium when we calculate your weekly income allowance

• You receive the Support Component of Employment Support Allowance

• You receive or have underlying entitlement to Carer’s Allowance


We need to see original documents as evidence to support the information given on your claim form. An indication of what is required from you and your partner (if applicable) is provided as follows:

Working People

You are required to send in 5 weekly wage-slips, 3 fortnightly or 2 monthly payslips.  Alternatively, you can ask your employer to complete and return an Earnings Certificate Form (pdf 136KB). If you are self employed you will need to provide evidence of your latest set of accounts. If your accounts are not available or you are a new business you will need to complete and return a Self Employed Form (736KB). You will still need to provide your accounts at a later date.

People on State Benefits

We will need to see evidence of all Benefits received.  This will preferably be in the format of an 'award notice' from the agency paying you the money.  Current 'order books' are also usually acceptable.


We need to see evidence of all savings, capital and investments held.  The most recent 3 months'  transactions must be provided for each.  We need to see original copies of your statements, passbooks, certificates, etc.  If you own other properties or land, further details will be requested.

National Insurance Numbers

We need to see your National Insurance number included on an official document (for example on a wage-slip, letter from the Benefits Agency, payment book)

Proof of Rent

If you rent you property from either a private landlord or Housing Association you will need to provide proof of your rent. We require either:-
  • a current signed tenancy agreement, 
  • your rent book or
  • a letter from your landlord stating the tenancy start date, how much rent you are charged and whether any services are included.
Alternatively you can complete and return a Proof of Rent Form (pdf 48Kb).

The 'Verification Framework'

We along with many other Local Authorities, have signed up to what is known as the 'Verification Framework'. 
This is a Government scheme intended to ensure all applicants receive the correct amount of Benefit and to reduce the level of fraud within the system. 
Because of this we are obliged to request Proof of Identity Form (pdf 16Kb) in order to process your claim

Submitting the Form without all the Required Information

If you cannot obtain all the evidence needed to send in with the  Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit Claim Form (pdf 472Kb). It is important to send the form to us anyway.  Please indicate that you will send in the missing information later.  
We will normally allow you four weeks to send in everything we need.
If you have any further questions regarding the supporting evidence you are required to provide, please contact us.

Contact Details:

Telephone: 01553 616200

In Writing:


Finance & Resources Department

Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk

PO Box 26

King's Lynn

PE30 1EX


Last updated: 14 August 2014
Bookmark and Share What is this?